The Porch and Atrium

Erected a few years after the church itself, the Romanesque porch is constructed of polychromatic brick and fronted with four short columns with oversized capitals that bear the symbols of the four Evangelists. A multicoloured arch, three small windows and an ornamental metal cross are arranged over the main doors. A small belfry whose original bell is now located at University College Dublin in Belfield is situated above the porch. 

Six steps descend from the porch into the atrium which is home to a number of wall plaques. Among those honored are  Eugene O’Curry (1794-1862), first professor of archaeology at the University, the nationalist Máire de Paor who died in 1916, and the co-founders of the Catholic Boy Scouts of Ireland – Frs. Thomas Joseph Farrell (d. 1940) and Ernest Farrell (d. 1955),