Dear Engaged Couple,
Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding!
We’re very happy you have chosen to celebrate your nuptials at Newman University Church. You join a long, long list of brides and grooms throughout the nation – and the world – who have chosen to share their solemn vows in the church built by Blessed John Henry Cardinal Newman.
Our pastoral team, secretary, and musicians will do all we can to help make this a wonderful day for you and your family.
First, we ask you to complete and return the Booking Form (provided by the parish secretary) and enclose a cheque in the sum of €250 as a booking deposit. This deposit is non-refundable. The balance of €300 will be payable one month before your wedding.
Please note that the fee refers to the use of the church only. Appropriate stipends are also offered to the officiating priest and music ministers for your celebration.
Your wedding date will remain provisional in the church’s diary until both of your Freedom to Marry in the Catholic Church forms are verified through completion of the first section of the pre-nuptial enquiry form. When we say ‘provisional,’ we don’t mean others could be given that date and time without first checking with you.
Cor ad Cor Loquitur
The episcopal motto of Blessed John Henry Newman was “Cor ad Cor Loquitur” – “heart speaks to heart.”
As stewards of Newman University Church, we seek to create a community where faith and reason are engaged, where prayer and discourse, sacred song and intellectual inquiry join together. You are very welcome to this sacred space as you prepare for your wedding day.
Church Rules and Considerations:
- The Church is quite ornate and does not require much additional décor. Carpet runners are not allowed in the building, and absolutely no confetti, petals, glitter, rice, or the like, inside or outside the church.
- Fire and safety rules forbid open flames at your wedding. No lanterns, candles, tealights, etc., in the body of the Church. Large, closed lanterns can be placed in the atrium only (you can rent these from us if you’d like).
- If there are two weddings occuring on the same day, families sometimes share the cost of the flowers to save both time and money. The Parish Secretary can inform you of whether another wedding is taking place on the same date as yours.
- Complete the Marriage Notification process as soon as possible. The procedure is explained on the State’s website (web address subject to change). While a minimum notification of 3 months is required by law, it is advisable to make contact with a Marriage Registrar long before that deadline. In order to complete the Notification Form, you will require the name of your priest or deacon.
- 3 months notice, to a priest of the parish where you currently reside, of your intention to marry.
- Certificate of enrolment in or completion of a Pre-Marriage Course.
- Completion of Pre-Nuptial Enquiry Form for each of you by one of your local clergy. To this meeting, you must bring Baptismal and a Confirmation Certificates which are issued no more than 6 months before the wedding date. Your priest will forward your papers to University Church on completion.
- If you are currently domiciled abroad, your papers must be processed through the Chancellery Office of whatever Diocese you are domiciled in.
Times for wedding celebrations:
- Weekdays at 2:30pm;
- Saturdays at 1pm and 3:30pm
Music and liturgical considerations:
- Our goal is to help you choose appropriate and festive sacred music that reflects the importance of the liturgy.
- All musical selections must be approved one month before your wedding date by the Director of Music and Liturgy at Newman Church. We meet with every couple to help them carefully plan their music. Contact the Music and Liturgy Director or the Organist through the Parish Secretary.
- University Church is home to a strong circle talented and competent musicians to assist with your celebration. It is understood that you will work with our Organist, or one of the deputies, at University Church; if, however, you wish to use your own organist, you must compensate University Church €200 for this substitution.
Note: Wedding “bands” are not considered a suitable substitution for our own musicians.
- Many combinations of great instrumental players are available through our office: organists, cantors, string quartets, woodwinds, violinists, guitarists, trumpeters.
- Upon receipt of your initial deposit, the Parish Secretary will forward to you a list of approved musicians to assist with your plans.
- The Director of Music and Liturgy is also available to help you craft a special worship sheet for your day if you so desire, for a nominal charge.
- A host of musical titles are available to you on our website: newman.nd.edu.
Go to the Weddings tab, then click on Liturgy & Music to find suggestions for Psalms and Sacred Songs. Mass Settings can also be heard under the Liturgy Planning tab. All of these can be discussed in greater detail when you meet with our musicians.
- You might wish to feature a friend or relative for a special piece of sacred music at your wedding. We’re certainly open to this – it can be discussed when we meet with you about your music plans.
- Fr. William R. Dailey, c.s.c., is happy (if available), to preside at your wedding celebration. You are also welcome to arrange your own presider, provided he is a registered Solemniser of weddings in Ireland.
University Church welcomes sacred music from around the globe. Below you will find just a few titles for use at various times in your wedding liturgy.
Psalm 24/25: To You, O Lord
Psalm 26/27: The Lord is My Light
Psalm 33/34: Taste and See
Psalm 39/40: Here I Am, O God
Psalm 65/66: Cry out to God in Joy
Psalm 89/90: May the Love of God
Psalm 128: Blessed Are the People
Psalm 144/145: I Will Praise Your Name
Arise, My Love
Set Your Heart on the Higher Gifts
You Are God
A Song of Ruth
You Are Mine
Make of Our Hands a Throne
Come, My Way, My Truth, My Life
O God You Search Me
I Want to Walk as a Child of the Light
Eat this Bread
Christ be Near
Take and Eat
A Íosa Glan Mo Chroíse
A Íosa Mich Mhuír
O Mary of Graces
Sail the Soul
There is a Love
Make Us True Servants
We look forward to hearing from you soon and wish you well in your wedding preparations. If you need clarification on any of the above, please be assured that we are here to help.
Blessings on your continued journey!
Secretary: Elaine Metcalfe
Monday-Friday, 2-5 p.m.
Tel: (01) 475-9674
87A St. Stephen’s Green, Dublin 2